Sunday 6 September 2009

Caching in Rudyard, Staffordshire

Caches around Rudyard Lake
We had really wanted our day trip out as being on our mountain bikes doing some trails however we never got round to doing the planning for it. I had a night out last night with the girls in Stafford and in the early hours of the morning, the last thing that I wanted to be doing was running pocket queries and getting myself ready for what wasn't even the next day. So it ended up as a day clearing the local caches with my parents of The Bignall Boppers. I was feeling rather groggy the whole of the day through lack of sleep and anyone who knows me knows of my love of sleep. I can sleep for England!!!!

Rudyard Lake Station
Now we all are very familiar with this particular area as we have spent a lot of time here and my parents lived here for a while so when we discovered that one of the caches was disabled as it had the wrong co-ords published we thought we would go looking for it. Named the Kissing Gate, we knew pretty much where it would be and we weren't disappointed. We had a really easy find on this one which allowed us to complete the rest of the caches with ease. Only until we returned home did we find that another one had been published after the pocket query had been run the night before. Doh..that means another trip back to a place that we have cleared of caches.
The Canal Feeder
The walk to the other caches was a nice peaceful one especially the Canal Feeder cache. Along a small footpath with a stream running by the side of it. This one was a regular cache and was a lovely quick find. I sat myself on the bridge when the log was handed to me and ended up nettling my back. Every countryside cache I go to, I always get stung!!. Horrid things these nettles and I'm sure, the cachers worst nightmare.
Steam Train
The station is right by the parking co-ords given and runs every weekend and holidays up the lake and back. Its so lovely to see and hear the steam train chugging by. They even do special gala events such as Santa's Steam, Easter Egg specials and Halloween events. Trips generally cost about £3.50 for adults and £2 for children for a 3 mile return journey. Not bad!!!
At our trip to Rudyard we found the 3 caches that we had planned on completing and found a further 7 throughout the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment