Wednesday 5 August 2009

Mega Event....or just a Mega Caching Weekend?????

Well the Mega Event in Weston Super Mare is nearly upon us but sitting here thinking, its not just the journey down there that I have to prepare for. My to do list just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

I sat down for the first time today to plan which caches we are going to complete on our 3 days away. Then the enormity of the situation hit me....how many caches are there around and which ones do we choose. We have opted out of completing any unknown or multi caches as they are just too time consuming to complete many in a day so it will be down to earth caches, traditionals and virtual caches.

But where do I start. I ran pocket queries through GC.com for a number of areas and rather than use my normal prefered method of database with GSAK, I opted for a more simplified EasyGPS to upload the caches to my GPS. I find it easier this way to upload all the caches then to memory map to have a look at for easy drive-bys along the route that we'll be taking. I've still not mastered GSAK fully yet but thats a job for another day. I'm sure its easy when you know how.

Next is choosing the caches...I havent got that far yet apart from some on the journey down the M5 taking quick detours off to go to Cheltenham and Gloucester, areas which I have never cached in before. Then there's South Wales where were staying and the Mega in Weston Super Mare.

So best I get my skates on and actually do some planning......but I'm still pondering over...do I take my laptop with me to run via an inverter in the car so we can run memory map, or do we do it the old fashioned way and print off maps with the caches on. Now theres a thought for me!!!!!!

So is mega number caching easy....no its not as its just so time consuming planning the routes and caches. But for me, thats just as enjoyable as the caching itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment