Friday 14 August 2009

Keele Caches

GC1QR5N Dead Roman's Society
This was my second cache of the day. I parked in the Students Union carpark, a place that I've been to many times. Got out the trusty GPSr and followed the arrow. Well this is where I made my first mistake, as I had come into the woods in the wrong place and made a right old hash of it. I looked at the clue as where I was the co-ords seemed to be right out. Yep I'd gone through a tunnel and to a clearing but no cache. So I phoned a friend who had completed the cache and it all turns out that I was through the wrong tunnel. It seems bizaare that there would be tunnels in a wood like this but hey, there was a few. So after a few instructions I found where I was supposed to be and to be honest, I really should have trusted my GPS as the co-ords were pretty spot on. What a wonderful place to visit, it was amazing. There was a bridge with 4 little archways on it and up above was the tunnel that I had gone through. I so wish I had taken my camera for this one but I really wasnt expecting anything so spectacular especially on a university campus. This cache comes highly recommended from me.


GC14P9Y Keele Woods and Mud
This was my next on the list after Dead Roman's Society and thankfully I found the right track immediately. Another surprise for me, I hadn't realised there was a really impressive hall on the campus. The walk took us right past the hall and into the grounds passing a really lovely lake. I was fully expecting to get into the woods and as the title said....so get caked in mud. I found that the path had recently been done properly with a hardcore surface so was able to walk there with nice clean shoes. Got to the GZ and started looking at the likely places but nothing so resorted to the clue. I'm glad I did as my GPSr was showing 120ft out when I finally located the cache. The woods were really quiet so searching wasn't an issue.
Again the walk back was even more impressive as you got the full view of the hall with its lake and little weir with stepping stones going across it. What an ace place. Caches that I would certainly recommend.

In total I completed 10 local caches today, ones which had been on my closest to home for such a long time. There are many more to get around the area, but I keep being pulled to other areas.

Tomorrow is another caching day, I'm all prepped and have planned a couple of Earth Caches, about 18 traditionals and 5 Virtuals. We shall see if we get round to them all...especially with all the pups in tow. And this time I won't be forgetting my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment