Friday 31 July 2009

What's in my rucksack?

My trusty companion in all of my geocaching trips has to be my wonderful camelback rucksack, but what do I carry....aside from the kitchen sink that is!

There are a few basics that I never go caching without:

The GPSr - my wonderful Garmin GPSmap 60 Csx...well I wouldn't be caching if it didn't come with me

A pen...not just a normal pen...I prefer a nice gel pen as it will write on everything

My caching note pad - to write all of the GC numbers of the caches I have visited with a brief description so I can remember them when I log them on the computer

Travel bugs and Geocoins - The trackable items that travel from cache to cache

My iPhone - not just for safety. It has the geocaching application loaded onto it, so if I'm ever stuck, I have all the information at my fingertips

Spare batteries - well I wouldn't get very far if my GPS died would I?

Caching labels - To stick in the log book's..it has my logo on with space to write a comment and the date

Money - You never know when you will pass a nice pub or a chippy

Maps - yes I might have a GPS but having a map is essential to know exactly where you are

Camera - So many beautiful places to photograph

Car keys - I wonder why???


And the not so basic stuff:

  • First Aid Kit
  • Head torch - for the good old night caching
  • Waterproof jacket and over trousers - Love my Berghaus paclite's - lightweight and waterproof
  • Bag of swaps - little things like badges etc
  • Food - especially for long walks
  • Mars Bars - an essential snack
  • Water - carried in my camelback water re-hydration pack
  • A leatherman tool and a gerber tool
  • Toilet paper - well you never know when you need to blow your nose!
  • Suntan lotion - (in England I hear you ask?)
  • Lipsalve
  • Antiseptic handwash - after all you end up scrabbling in all sorts to look for caches

For those long hikes:

  • A silver heat blanket
  • A rescue beacon - A little device that flashes infrared light in case of emergencies.
  • More food

And in the car

  • Dog food and loads of water
  • Towels
  • Spare clothes and shoes

I'm sure many other cachers would travel more lightly than this..or would carry different things. These are the things that I can't live without and make my caching trips easier.

I wonder what you would carry in your rucksack??????

No comments:

Post a Comment