Saturday 20 February 2010

Knocking off the locals!!!!

What do you do when you have a couple of hours to spare....knock of a few local caches.

It was a nice bright sunny winters afternoon so wanted to get the kids and the dog out in the fresh air for a few hours but not go to far as I have a longer day's caching planned for tomorrow.

I'd already got all the caches uploaded to memory map which had been printed off and laminated so it was just a case of get the kit on and drive the 5 miles to Trentham to pick 4 up that I had been meaning to do for some time.

We started with Sweet Nano as it was only a couple of hundred feet from where we had parked the car. Reading the logs before hand we thought that this one was going to take us ages to find so was pleasantly surprised when Alleghnee placed her little mitts on it almost immediately. I suppose the great thing about having kids around when you are caching, aside from the quality time thing, is that you can just about get away with anything citing childs play, so in high muggle areas they are an absolute asset.

Next on our list was Sweet 5. What a lovely albeit muddy walk to this one. Mind you, this cache will teach me to look where I am going as I got my feet wrapped around a bramble and literally went arse over tit and ended up face down in the roots of the tree. Another easy find on this cache for us, so on to the next one.

3rd cache of the day was Sweet 6. Again had read the logs before coming out on the walk and saw that there had been a few DNF's on this and was a cheeky hide. I must have had my caching goggles on today as I found it in the first place I looked. Bargain!!!! No problems here.


How muddy?

Another one that had been sat on the list for what seems like years is Suit of Caches - King. It was a bit of a slog up the hill to get to this one. Sprocket the dog was having a whale of a time running around and jumping in all of the leaves. Again this cache presented us with no problems at all and it was nice to find a good sized cache hidden in the woods. It always amazes me why people place micros in the woods when there are plenty of places to hide at least a small sized cache. I got the opportunity to place a couple of geocoins that I had had for a while.


Me and Sprocket with the Suit of Caches - Kings Cache

At last 4 caches complete in Trentham so a quick walk back to the car to move onto the next ones. We had to pass all the caches which we completed and as we approached the one closest to the car, we saw somone having a good rummage in the railings. On arrival we introduced ourselves and met Hampk again. The last time we met was at midnight when we had all been racing to get an FTF and got sprung by the police wondering what we were doing in the bushes with torches. After explaining to them what caching was all about they left us to it probably thinking that we were complete nut jobs...well they are probably right, I mean, which normal people go finding tupperware boxes in bushes at midnight!!!! (The Chumps #1)

It took us a little while to find the correct road for this next cache and ended up going down a rough track to get to the lane. We were absolutely amazed to find what we did as this is a place that is fairly close to home and we didn't know it existed.

Brother's Hump is a 4/4.5 rated cache and I now know why. Certainly not for the faint hearted but I was there and there was no way that I was going to go away empty handed. The cache is above a set of caves and with the weather being as it has been for the last few months (or so it seems) the ascent was really rather slippery. Now I'm not known for my bravery where heights are concerned and my legs do tend to go a little bit wobbly when faced with hanging over edges. I ended up crawling to the edge on my belly and hanging on to a tree with on hand and gingerly feeling around with the other. Luckily for me the cache was right where I put my hand pretty much first time. This is probably one of the only times that I have stayed in the same position to sign the log...there was no way that I was moving at all. In the cache I found a TB which had been sat there since 28 Dec 09 so I took the lovely little mole out of hibernation to move on to pastures new. (Matt the Mole TB). Thankfully I managed to replace the cache and descende without a hitch.


Beech Caves - an old World War 2 Ammunitions Storage Facility

Last cache of the day, Bluebells by the M6 was again another easy one. A lovely walk in a beautiful wood running alongside the M6. I drive this route daily and I must admit I have never noticed that there was a wood there. Again it was great to find another large sized cache with lots of swaps. The kids love these types of caches.

So all in all a quick couple of hours caching and a nice way to break up the day. I mean, it also gives me something to write about

Until the next time

Happy days

Claire x






No comments:

Post a Comment